Sunday, 26 May 2013


Even though the local quilt show isn't until the Fall, I've started working on a couple donations for the small quilt raffle.   

I went through some old quilt blocks and found this one, that with a little bit of help, could be a cute raffle quilt.  The block was sandwiched and machine quilted around the design.  It was bound using a blue and yellow print.  The centre yo-yo was attached face-down (I'm not a fan of yo-yo's), adding dimension.  A quick label was added to the back.  

I came across a few half-triangle squares, with the coordinating fabric and batting packed away in a zip-lock bag, just waiting to be completed.  I'm sure that the fabric and half completed block was given to me quite some time ago.  Just look at that calico!

Already cut boarders were added.  The piece was then layered and machine quilted 1/4" from the seam lines.  I don't know if you can see, but the boarders were quilted too, every 1/4".  The result was a really traditional quilt.  About ten years ago I would have said that it was complete, but today, I'm not happy with just that.   A little bit of watered-down white acrylic was washed over the whole piece to tone down that stark brown calico.  Turquoise and brown circles of acrylic paint were added to the surface.  Black paint was splattered over top.  Next, Inka Gold Metallic Rub (by Viva Colour) was added as the last layer.   I may even feel compelled to add a bead or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment