Wednesday, 13 March 2013


I'm not what you'd call a "beader".  I love the look, but do I really want to put in the time?  Well, I've been trying to add beads to my latest project.  Here's a peak at what I've been doing.  A few more weeks of stitching should do it.

Thursday, 7 March 2013


Recently, I was asked to make some covers for some Japanese swords.  I immediately thought that it was time to try Sashiko (What was I thinking?).  It's been a time-consuming event for sure.  I've been stitching on and off for weeks just to make the base with which to continue on with my project.  I'm not finished yet, but I'll persevere.

This is just under a half metre of fabric.

Here's a closer look.

Tuesday, 5 March 2013


While on the postcard theme, here are a few more that I received in the past few days. 

This one is almost three dimensional as it is puffy includes embellished flowers. 

I guess the post from South Africa is not too reliable.  I just received December's theme card.  It's never too late for Christmas!

Mary, from my local postcard exchange group, sent this one.  I can relate.

Monday, 4 March 2013


I haven' been spending too much time quilting during the past few weeks, but I have just finished some postcards for the March exchange.  The theme is PURPLE.  When I was 12 I loved purple, but not so much any more.  However . . . 

I started by pulling out scraps of purple - velvets, satins, chiffons, cottons - then machine pieced the scraps together.  Various circle shapes were stamped on the fabric using purple acrylic paints.  It was then sandwiched with batting and backing and cut into six 4"x6" postcard size pieces and machine satin-stitched around the perimeter.

I had just enough hand-dyed fabric to back only five of the six postcards.  The sixth card was backed with a commercially printed fabric.