It was pretty simple to put together, but time consuming. Here's what I did. I started by cutting up 1 3/8" squares of fabric from my stash.
Then the squares were placed on a fusible grid. I used June Tailor Quilt Top Express because that's what I had at home. There are many types of fusible grid available. Use what's on hand.
I made two sections as it was easier to handle and the fusible grid wasn't long enough.
After all the pieces were laid out, it was pressed to "fuse" everything in place. Next, the vertical seams were sewn,
and then the seam allowances were clipped between each row.
Each row was pressed to one side.
Horizontal seams were then stitched and pressed.
The two segments were then sewn together.
I don't like cutting into large pieces of batting for small projects so scraps of left over batting were pieced together to a size large enough to fit. The top, batting and backing were layered and held together with pins.
The quilting was stitched a scant 1/4 inch from each seam line.
This shows the quilting from the back as it's difficult to see the red thread on the red pieced background.
After the quilting was complete eye and belt buttons were stitched on. The piece was folded in half lengthwise, right sides together, and stitched from top to bottom, then turned inside out, ready for slipping over a tube. Embellishments were added to complete Santa.